Friday, May 29, 2009

FABRIC SCRAP NECKLACE




I've been dreaming about holding a little arts and crafts camp this summer for Petunia and some of her friends. Nothing too formal, just a few afternoons over the course of the summer. Some ideas that I have for projects are bookbinding, printmaking (of course) and a little sewing project that I will share with you soon. When I saw this brilliant recycling project, I knew it was the perfect idea to round out our lineup. These adorable little necklaces are made from fabric scraps! Aren't they pretty? They remind me of those faded rope bracelets that I have always loved to wear (Petunia is sporting one right now, as a matter of fact!). Only these necklaces are much more fun and colorful.



For a complete tutorial, go to Cakies and then gather up all those scraps. I have a feeling that once we start making these, we won't want to stop.

ETA: As I hit publish, my brain just exploded with happy ideas. Picture these strung together as a garland on a white flocked christmas tree! Or strung and draped over a table as party garlands! I hope I have enough scraps...

4 comments:

Crafty P said...

oh joy. I absolutely LOVE this idea. I need to haul out the 'ol quilt bag and see what lurks at the bottom!

awesome!

Kathryn said...

Great idea, thanks for sharing! Off to find some fabric and my sewing machine ...

Anonymous said...

you've inspired me. when my kids were younger we hosted a few messy art days, but now with my daughter getting older I think something like this would be just the thing! and of course i would LOVE the bookbinding and printmaking myself. so fun. can't wait to hear more.

Jessica said...

Great idea! Seems like it's also a super way to get kids involved.